This guide is for instructors, learning design folks, and really anyone who needs to know how to add a Yellowdig community to their course.
The steps below assume that Yellowdig has already been installed in your organization's D2L Brightspace, instance. If you're unsure whether this was done yet you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You're also welcome to try the steps in this guide, and if you're successful that means that Yellowdig has in fact already been installed! 😃
STEP 1: Add Yellowdig to your Course
⚠️ Only one assignment per course
Do not create multiple graded assignment links. This will create significant grade passback problems for your Community.. For more information, see our LTI FAQ.
1. In your D2L/Brightspace Course page, go to one of your modules (preferably the first) and select Add Existing Activities → External Learning Tools.
2. Select the LTI Link for Yellowdig. (Note: Your organization determines the name of the LTI link.)
3. You should now see an external link to Yellowdig in your chosen module.
STEP 2: Create a Gradebook Item for Yellowdig
1. Click your link to Yellowdig - Yellowdig will open up in a new browser tab.
2. Switch your browser tab back to the one that had the link now and in the Activity Details tab, click "+ New Grade Item" under "Assessment". Then click Save.
Fill out the new grade item form:
- Name = Yellowdig Participation [recommended]
- D2L Points (not Yellowdig points) = 100 [default]
- Grade Scheme = Percentage [recommended]
STEP 3: Create your Yellowdig Community
- The instructor will click the Assignment link that you just created, which will launch Yellowdig and prompt them to create your Community for the class. This first instructor to launch into the Yellowdig community will be automatically assigned as the Community Owner.
- Instructors should click the Assignment link and set up the Community before the course begins so learners can access the Community on the first day of the course.
- To establish grade passback, your students can launch into Yellowdig through this one graded Assignment link that you created or through the sidebar link to Yellowdig.
Audience: This help article is for Instructors, Designers, and Administrators. Students or Learners cannot access these settings.