You need Organization Admin permissions to create or edit the Default Community. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Default Community(s) are the primary option designers use to customize Yellowdig across their institution. Design the Default Community(s) to meet the specific needs of your program.
Default communities pass on both Settings and Content to new communities (see the table above for details). Only one Default Community can be created per Organization level. Top-level organization Defaults will pass down to the sub-organizations. However, the sub-organizations can have their own Default communities as well.
How to create a Default Community
In the community creation flow, instructors can override the Default by choosing to copy settings from a Template community.
The chart below shows only one Default Community for the top-level “State University” organization. The settings and content automatically get inherited by the sub-organizations.
The chart below shows the scenario with three distinct Default Communities, one for each organization.
- Paste a template link. You must use this option if you don't own the community you're templating from. Copy the template link in the source community’s basic settings.
2. Select the community from a dropdown by clicking the field under Copy Content From and/or Copy Settings From. Only communities owned by the user will show as options here.
- Only Posts and Comments from Community Owners and Facilitators will be copied, and you will assume ownership of those Posts and Comments upon content copying.
- If you choose not to copy the content, your new Community will inherit the default posts of your Organization’s Default Community. If your Organization does not have a Default Community, and if no parents of your Organization have default Communities, your new Community will inherit Yellowdig's default "Welcome to Yellowdig" posts, which feature how-to guides.
- If there is a Topic on a post from a Community Owner or Facilitator ONLY those Topics will get copied (unless settings are copied as well).
- Community settings include Point Configurations, Accolades, Topics, and Emojis. Community settings do not include the community start and end dates.
- If you choose not to copy settings, your new Community will inherit the default settings of your Organization’s Default Community. If your Organization does not have a default community, and if no parents of your Organization have default communities, your new Community will inherit Yellowdig's Defaults.